Friday, June 23, 2017

Mutual Exploration; Keeping Silence Becomes Hello, Yes, Hello


                              Why do we persist in pretending, pretending to think we are always going to be knowingly better? Mutual ignorance however, is real. But when we ought to know better; We still can project. We judge. We blame. We deny. We alienate. We discriminate. But we still persist in pretending, pretending that we are supposed to know better. We pretend we know better than each other, who's supposed know better they we do. My knowing is supposed to be so much better than your knowing better. What? We pretend to be authorities on every other persons issues. We pretend by thinking, there is no answer to why people are so ignorant of each others feelings and needs. We are literally ignorant of each others ignorance. We are also glaringly ignorant of our own ignorance. And the resultant horrible barrier to which we succumb to in our mutually supplied ignorance. Why do we persist in pretending to ourselves to know better about each other? We all know why people pretend. We don't want to have to care about each others problems all the time. "Why won't anyone listen to me?" says the bleating of the newly affluent liberal guilt. "My pretenses are no less pretentious than yours," I'm saying. Has liberal empathy become a competitive sport? What ever happened to our human relationships? I'm actually asking. Must I stoop to condescend?

                              Newly rich comfortable democrats don't want to live in my neighborhood. (Or maybe you do. My perfumed ghetto is now getting gentrified for your discerning real estate appetites. Even migratory wildlife escapes into the park lands of our new inner city affluent middle America.) You don't want to see the crimes and poverty that is being dumped into our best cities from across the globe, domestic and foreign. So you get into your fine cars and beautiful lofts, and rise obliviously spacey to the vibrant squalor of living urban culture that your depend on for your daily life. You go into your clubs, spas and resorts, but the crime for you stays out on the street. (Or does it?)

                               Soon a nobody like me comes out of the gutter to reverse slum your emotional poverty into an equally pretentious liberal objectivity. Are you afraid to speak out? I am. And I'm supposed to be one of you. I'm not afraid of my government. I'm afraid of you. You silence me. You are actively ignoring me. Yes, I said you. You are the ones who are ignorant about me, and you are not my government. My government listens to me, but it still does not yet understand. You're pretending to listen, but instead hear only every little piece of the wind that comes off of the hill. But a new, unfamiliar unsanctioned voice such as "Mine," is muted in the censoring breeze of mass group speak. No new voices have been heard from since the war of words was called off for rain. No new solutions have been offered up, and no real progress is being made to confront the mutual void of understanding. We have nothing. We are all equally mutually ignorant and as a result are also dangerously codependent.

                               How are we any different from anyone else? If we want to understand why others may be so ignorant, shouldn't we just be asking ourselves this question, "Why am I so ignorant?" What is it that I don't want to know about? Hello, yes, Hello. This is not a rhetorical question. Evasiveness has been hardwired into our instincts. Ignoring something or somebody doesn't always make them go away. Trying to ignore each other is a learned evasion reenforced by fashionable ignorance. The flaking facades of authoritative religious Rightness and our contrarian secular Leftness, leaves us supporting each other in conflict only. No one seems to want to say, "Hello, yes, Hello." "Is there something I can do to make it easier for you not to want to ignore me?" I'm not giving up on my non violence, not ever. But please don't push me. I'm not sure why people hate each other so much, and maybe that's just me being ignorant. The question becomes, "Can't we all just get along?" and why do we always have to blame someone? Am I the only person who sees answers?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Is there anybody out there?