Tuesday, November 29, 2016

A Rose Colored Darkness; Seeing the World Through


                  Please forgive me for seeing this world as a "Cup Overflowing." Now that we have gotten to see the power of popular negativity and paranoid predictions, I've discovered that my own cynical optimism is commonly misinterpreted as apathy. Or even worse, Amoral Conformity." I'm merely advocating for a rational dissent, opposing the presumptions of an inevitable spiral into unavoidable futility and defeat.

                  One man's response to the very real possible threat of censorship in our disinformation driven news feed society, was to say "Greater evil needs to remain in scope to justify the aim for the lesser evil. So the policy spirals towards it like a moth to the flame."

                  Click Bait was the term he used to criticize my comment about how, "I find it prophetic that all my wacko popular paranoia friends turned out to be right about one thing. Interesting Times. Don't you know?"
                  About my comment he says, "You do sound like click bait, except for the minor aspect that there's nothing to click on."

                   I commented back;

"What is click bait, and how does that relate to me? What are you trying to do, seriously? Did I offend you? I'm not a pollyanna. Don't give up so quickly! I've been fighting this battle with well meaning fear mongers and popular paranoids on both sides, all my life. I guess I don't like being called trivial. "Greater evil needs to remain in scope to justify the aim for the lesser evil," sounds like a tautology. I neither agree with you or consider haute' pessimism constructive. Determinism is the preferred mode of condescension for people who like condemning the faith and hopes of people who actually know real oppression. I find negativity to be too easy."

      And I always have resisted. In the Eighties it was the fear of the inescapable "Nuclear Winter." I would say, "We should be so lucky." "Only real hardships drive mankind onward toward any shared enlightenment." Nobody likes hearing this, back then or now. And of course I was thought to be an "Amoral Conformist" for insisting on the real facts of what is happening, instead of just another silent advocate for futile determinism. The threat was real. But the outcome wasn't, and still is primarily only a threat. There is real evil in the world, but the worst of it may be  the rationalizations of paralytic apathy. The world isn't any worse off now than it ever was. It just that the scale of the problems are much larger with the worlds power, technologies and exponentially growing populations. From a "Bronze Age" perspective we could say, "A Succession of Cyclical Histories is Simply Repeating Itself," as we generally do. And that it is our sense of lost collective memory that is what is making people so fearfully reactionary.

      I find a greater threat looms in the expectation of futility in the face of our very real and contemporary opportunities for real free expression, right now, today. Now is the time and it always has been today we need to address. Things will only continue to get worse if we don't use this and every opportunity to speak out for what is right, actually making ourselves heard. Stand up against populist determinism on both sides of the "Split Bias," which is so easily exploited by populist polarization and fashionable paranoia. Of course my "Use it or Loose it" philosophies aren't much appreciated right away. But most of my extreme Liberal friends end up agreeing with me, that even if the worst is yet to come, for most of us that impending "Threat of Violence" needs to be challenged right now, before it can get out of hand. And that we're never to loose hope for what is right.

      I'm sorry if I offend people by taking such a dim view of "Doomsayers," when they are only expressing a healthy apprehension, in the face of what is humanly frightful and truthfully monstrous. But wasn't it fear mongering and exaggeration that got our nation to stop listening to itself in the first place?

                 

2 comments:

  1. We may be arguing semantics. Fear is not an enemy. Having petty tyrants following us, telling us what to do is unhealthy intimidation. Nobody likes that. But fear is just another healthy emotion. Nobody is telling us how to feel, I hope.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was referring to Yoko Ono's quote. I agree that one should not be afraid of being afraid or feel guilty of feeling guilty, and I am saying this from first hand experience of the toxicity of such self-referential emotions. However, I'll persist in thinking that it by itself doesn't mean fear (of something else than fear itself) and guilt (for something else than guilt itself) is automatically healthy: this is very much a case by case matter.

    As for dismissing "semantics" and "arguing semantics", count me wholly unsympathetic to that English-language-culture trope. Yes, it sometimes happens that people are futilely arguing about what's the right word to use for a reality they accurately identify, but lots of time babies get thrown out with that bathwater. For instance, I suspect it played a significant role in Chomsky's development of a theory of language learning that's blind to "semantics".

    ReplyDelete

Is there anybody out there?