Friday, November 14, 2014

An Ocean of Desires # 3

From; Sunday, October 27, 2013




                         What are these little essays in the face of the real problems of the world? We are confronted with an ocean of desires. Love is deep enough to encompass our world in solutions.

                         Tyrants still try to exploit, starve and oppress our peoples, and our children are denied quality educations. The environment is still being polluted. The carbonation of our oceans, {CO2} is making sea water too acidic to sustain coral in our beautiful dying seas. Love is so big it embrace everything in the whole world, dissolved with an ocean of desires. Sometimes it seems impossible to express, but are we aren't giving up. Desire is a very good thing. We want to hold on to what is good. "Desire is what keeps everything in it's place." (Quoted from my teacher, Steve.) Apathy about the world, is much worse than Heroine. Much worse.

                         I had a friend who insisted, we will all be dead in three years. This is not the first time he threw his doomsaying in my face. In principle I can agree, things are really bad. But as I had first said to him decades ago, (when he was wrong the first times,)  "The world goes out with a whimper, not a bang." Quotation not mine. (C. S. Lewis? Gertrude Stein? T. S. Elliot? I don't remember.) Theoretically, we could already be too late. But that's not what I see, thirty years ago or today. I love people and so I believe in us.

                         I reject the Apocalypse. I write about a future I have seen, rational people will want to see proof that we are going to survive together. I love beautiful undiscovered truth. But what to do about so much suffering? These problems are not going away on their own. Only the proof of our love can help us to survive.

                         So,   "Never take away hope." (Quote from my Secretary) The fact is that my pessimistic friend had been VERY WRONG in the past. Is he going to be wrong this time? Any comfort I derive from his skewed intuitions is hollow. Not just because these problems aren't going away, but because a "Let It Be" attitude is what has gotten us into these problems in the first place. There is real evil in the world. And therefore, complacency is much worse than Heroin. That "Let It Be" attitude is one of the worst philosophies that has ever perverted our otherwise reversible shared fate.

                         I know I sound foolish insisting that, "Hardships change us for the better." And that a sudden "end of the world" would be much too good for us." But my instincts have been entirely correct up too this point, and maybe my visions of the future are right too. For those of us who suffer from liberal guilt, we feel responsible for the suffering in our world. And I believe that even this must have some positive good. Let's go back to shifting mutually defined opinion biases. I think our work makes a difference.

                        Did Mark change my opinions? No bloody way!!!!! I still believe our species will solve this problem the same way we are healing the Ozone Layer. Did I change Mark's opinions? I certainly don't think so. That's not my problem anyways. "Societies General Opinion Biases change faster than do peoples Individual Personal Opinion Biases."  A much younger friend of mine says, "Popular paranoia isn't as prevalent in youth culture today as it was in decades past." Fascism isn't as fashionable anymore. Hell, most of the old farts who are responsible for the evils of the world will be dead soon anyways. But may our love prevail, I hope, live and pray.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Is there anybody out there?