Friday, July 25, 2014

Abandon Hope, All Ye Who Enter Here

Thursday, January 2, 2014

Story So Far "Our Shared Unknown"


                  I've been told that if I want to be read, I may want to appeal to the self destructive and stubborn in us all.  So, don't you dare read this unless you are stupid, foolish and easily misled. (I personally don't think this is going to work, but I'm willing to do almost anything to get people to cooperate with me.)

                   Let's talk about what we have already achieved. We have awareness. As readers we have the art of living fiction. I don't mean that we live fictitious lives, I mean that we tell stories that come true. When we say we are going to do something, it doesn't always mean that it's going to happen. We are committing to an action. When we approach an unknown, something happens. A story emerges. The unknown is a boundary. We are defined by boundaries. We tell stories about our boundaries. They almost always include people. We become aware of our personal and social boundaries by identification.

                    The story up to this point has been about cultivating the awareness and identification of boundaries. Social, personal, intellectual, physical boundaries. This is a literary experiment in language and documentation.

                    We have identified a type communication that is in fact influence. As we confront and define popular opinion biases, pro and con, we see that boundaries of opinion shift. This story is to help mark, and facilitate that moving shift of popular opinions.

                    Much to my surprise, I see very little work that is designed to help "Society" learn en mass. Most stories are oriented to preferentially biased markets. That's why I've insisted on not pandering to you my "Sacred Unknown Audience." I want you to all be different. If I do this right, the story takes effect without you even noticing. If this story is to become true it must be handled very delicately.

                    As your reader, I may even get to know if I've done my job correctly. You may be able to feel the gentle release from the overly familiar. There is always suspense that accompanies true learning. My job as a reader is to teach, not preach. I may even be able to teach you how to be a good reader. You are reading this story right now. And all I had to do was trust in your ability to recognize the truth when you see it, even if it is still only just another story.

                    This book is a door into "Our Shared Unknown."