Friday, February 20, 2015

End of the IRON SHIRT

  
                  Iron Shirt is a very advanced form of Chi Gung, Military Medicine and Spiritual Philosophy. It is well known for taking sickly little old men like me and turning us into micro studs. While pulling myself away from the grave, I also recognize the hardships of my brothers. Iron Shirt is generally not taught here in the west because of chronic adolescent narcissism. Our society is obsessed with superficial youth and beauty, and as a result good health is discouraged. People either want to be trustworthy and or be left alone, not easy for the beautiful people. Beauty and physical excellence are generally envied, reviled and distrusted. Competitive sports and athletics lend themselves to an air of exclusivity. And with repressive sexism and agism, social strife is about the only brake on self indulgence. Were we willing and able, everyone would want to be physically well. Everyone wants to be happy. But that's not happening.

                   The "Cult of the Iron Shirt" is a spiritual tradition with teeth. We should all want to be able to do our best without illusions. But the truth about health and welfare is often harsh and unyielding. Be it in times of war or in peace, the Iron Shirt is a burden as well as a pair of wings with which to climb unto the heights. It's lesson is one of humility and service to others, if it isn't already too late.

                   During the "Boxer Rebellion" of the late 19th Century Chinese war for independence, soldiers were trained in these strange spiritual technologies involving conditioning, resistance training, philosophy and medicine, and much, much more. These feelings of indomitability deluded troops into thinking that because they could fall on their swords, that they could also take bullets. This was not the case. Although Iron Shirt does involve skills and disciplines unimaginable, these are in fact just sophisticated training technologies. Not magic.

                   For me the spiritual and practical aspects of Iron Shirt was for me more valuable than the pleasant side effects of bulking up. I was originally so sick that I not only got great results, but I was very motivated. A 2nd puberty was even much more intense than my first, at eight. Having to keep growing up meant respecting the tradition for it's wisdom. I've slowed down again, counting my many blessings. Most people never get a second chance like I did. But then again, the false hope of a total recover is always unrealistic. Not being the "Mad Hermit Hunchback of Lake St." anymore, was a culture shock I didn't expect. Were I someone who still had had hope, I might not have even  gotten results. But then once again the lesson is about humility. I think the Iron Shirt needs to go back into the closet.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Is there anybody out there?