Sunday, December 8, 2013

It's My Turn To Cry


Post # 200
                   Often when our vulnerabilities make it necessary to understand other peoples emotions, it can become difficult to know when we will need to be understood. As wounded healers, we all have heard, "Physician Heal Thyself." Tragically enough, that is almost never possible. We all really need each other to love, to heal, to be loved and to be healed. These are things that are almost never done alone.

                   Occasionally,  Friends can sometimes hurt me without even knowing how or why. I write about the nature of our personal emotions as healthy boundaries and entanglements. All of us have the emotional desire for love. It is inevitable that we all will experience personal loss and pain. I had originally intended that this blog and book was to be about purely academic aspects of psychic reading, but as the work develops I see that for us sensitives, emotions are academic. I can not recommend strongly enough reading and studying on your own. But not until it all turns to mush in your brain, will you know the truth, it's all academic. When it comes to understanding peoples emotions, considerable sensitivity is the only recourse for anyone serious about human relations. All of the techniques and technologies will never be able to replace experience.

                  There is a pop psychology author that has made a killing, marketing "No one can hurt your feelings unless you let them." Well in principle of course, you can commit suicide and then no one will ever hurt you again, but I doubt that was his point. I'm going to say that I believe, he's advocating taking responsibility for your emotions by not jumping to conclusions or blaming others. Much suffering is caused by assuming that an offense is done intentionally. And I also will agree that allowing people to abuse you can sometimes have been a matter of choice. But I suspect his arbitrary indifference to peoples emotional pain was a clumsy attempt at giving advise. (An acrid empathy?) His basic assertion is based mostly on advocating freewill and self control. But I believe that even that idealized expectation of personal volition verges on a very common form of didactics and spiritual abuse. It is all too easy to blame the victim. Criticizing others while thinking oneself is immune is condescending and mocking. I know this author means no harm but he still has a tendency to under value the place of normal suffering. I know for myself I would be spiritually abusive if I was to presume to know what is best for one of my friends, because I may need to learn from the hurt they share with me, whether they're doing it on purpose or not. (Hurt People Hurt People.) I do have to decide what my personal limits are going to ultimately be.

                   As new age fuzzy thinking and inept mind reading, have become unpleasant side effects of popular new age dogma, I'm often left with an acute awareness of my own limited influence. It is not my place to judge, criticize or assume. I find that having the faith to trust the people I love, means I will come to understand what it is that we all need, want and deserve. I realize that I'm asking a lot, but I do trust in peoples ability to figure things out for themselves, to the best of their abilities. Until that time I will take responsibility for my own emotions to the best of my ability, even if I can't always anticipate the emotional impact of the feelings I experience in the course of my willingly accepting my life. And as always, I do love you. And I will continue to try to learn and understand. And when I am responsible, I will try to continue to do what I believe is right. Thank you friends, I hope you get this.