Friday, November 29, 2013

"May God grant me the gift to know how others see me?"



                   I believe this is the point I must reveal a mystery of truth hidden in plain sight. I'm talking about shared vision. Inter Sensory Perception. In this bittersweet melancholy of living joy we find each other. We seek to bond, to recognize and be recognized. It is as much of a mystery to me that I don't feel that separation and loneliness that most claim to suffer. I suspect my work is to blame. I myself need to have both the contact of others and the interpersonal space. When I speak of my own personal loneliness I just mean isolation. As a misunderstood medium, I am never actually really alone. Much as touch therapy has greatly improved my life and given me a shared reality, I live in a world with the constant awareness of other peoples pains and difficulties. One of my professional massage buddies has taken on the gift of working with the terminally ill. This has been most challenging for him, (and I must confess I am so proud,) as the burden on his heart has required his willing acceptance.

                   There is a Chinese touch therapy called "SHEN." Using my body's natural polarities, I place my hands on both sides of an effected emotional center, thus closing the circuits broken by traumatic physical and emotional pain. This opens the capillaries and releases chronic tensions. When we help each other to release pain, there are often healing tears. My sanity emerged from an otherwise incurable disability. Through shedding pain I am transformed into the man I have had the privilege to become. This is my new anchor in this storm of worlds in conflict and chaos. How strange is this wounded healer that we may be able to become.

                   I personally believe that when most people go to the mirror, they see the same person looking back at them day after day, (Sometimes I wonder if it is harder to forget pain than it is to remember peace or happiness.) Most are not aware of becoming better people or at least people do not see themselves changing as time performs it's miracles of transformation. Even those of us who have taken on the mantle of "Guide" are sometimes blind to ourselves when it comes to the differences between the way we see ourselves and the truth of what others can see. I'm not suggesting we should willingly turn over control of what we see of ourselves to others. I'm just pointing out that the first casualty of egotism and defensiveness is our receptivity and openness to others. And if and when we are so inclined to take on that responsibility for communicating, would we not do best to understand that field of influence generated by our unique and distinctive voice, as it is perceived by others? "We have two ears, but only one mouth," as my massage pal says. Listen twice, speak once?

                  As faith and necessity demands, selfishness is a self limiting proposition. No where in human relations is the issue of cooperation more central than in the case of intimacy. As professional sensitives and intuitive's, we require a level of honesty and trustworthiness of ourselves that is required because of our advanced intimacy skills. Teachers, trainers, therapists, readers, all of us have this ethical responsibility for understanding and respecting the human limitations of ourselves and others. Otherwise the faith that others have in us would be based on falsehoods and lies. I want to be deserving of the trust others bestow on me.

                 Again I'm not saying that we allow ourselves to be bullied by awareness of other peoples criticism, I'm just pointing out that the way into this new frontier of shared "Inter Sensory Perceptions" is through a "Void of Uncertainty." Even if when I know what someone may be feeling, (Physio Emotional Field) it is wrong for me to assume that I know why. We are that mystery, in ourselves and with each other.