Saturday, November 16, 2013

The Faded Room / Blind Spots and Reality



                   I worked briefly at a state university disabilities department representing students with hidden disabilities. I'm not able to drive because of extremely poor peripheral vision compounded by slow flicker rates, glare sensitivity and crippling dyslexia. The faded room is the way I see what most people think I should see. I see just enough to seem normal. But even riding a bike is taking my life into my hands. I speculated that if the variability of my vision problems, is any indication of possible hidden disabilities in general population, then maybe 15% of the people out there shouldn't be driving either. Whenever I mention this to one of my driving friends, they say it's probably more than that.

                  Suffice it to say that if what I don't see isn't commonly understood, and even the doctors of the Schools of Neurology thought I was lying, then maybe blind spots aren't just physical problems. Even my family pressured me to conform to the popular culture of driving. Sometimes it's not what people don't see that 's a problem, it's the assumptions about what a person is expected to be able to see that creates conflict. I run into these problems typing, using computers and even reading signs. None of these things are easy for me. Because of my exceptional verbal skills I'm judged unfairly to begin with, a doctor told me that I had a smart mouth. I know about perceptual perspectives and their limitations. I have personal proof of my primary assertions: 2. Everybody has blind spots and every bodies blind spots are different, and 3. Some people are very different, very differently. Case in point, not only do we see things differently but we don't even have accurate diagnostics to mark these differences easy for each other to 'SEE." What I don't see can and does hurt me. When people judge you for what you can't know or do, they're just trolling.

                 I have developed a language of polarities and bias to account for the actual dialog which accounts for the dynamics of shifting cultures of awareness. Take that my shifting faded room.